Due to problems with TouchWiz integration, the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini might never get the official Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update. However, Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini users have nothing to be sad about since there is an alternative way to get the Android 4.3 Jelly Bean update via custom ROMs.
The CyanogenMod 10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM offers an update for the Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. It has the TouchWiz user interface removed and there is no bloatware in it too. The CyanogenMod 10.2 Jelly Bean 4.3 ROM still brings features such as;
• Bluetooth Low Energy
• OpenLG ES 3.0
• 1GHz bug resolved
• 2D/3D hardware acceleration
• Improved sensors functionality
• Better wireless connectivity
• All native tethering
• 64GB SD card support
• Enhanced camera functions
• CPU sleep mode
• Virtual Surround sound
• Offline charging
Before you can make the installation, here is what you need to know:
• The ROM is only for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini I8910, I8190L and I8190N
• USB drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini are installed on your PC
• Download CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and the Google Apps into your PC
• Your Galaxy S3 Mini needs to be rooted
• Have ClockWorkMod recovery installed
• Manually backup all your data
• At least 50% battery charge is still available
• USB debugging mode is enabled
• You know that CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM installation might damage your device and you are installing the custom ROM at your own risk.
Here is how you can carry out the installation:
1. Connect your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini to your PC using a USB cable
2. Copy CyanogenMod 10.2 ROM and Google Apps zip file into your S3 Mini’s SD card
3. Disconnect your S3 Mini and switch it off
4. Boot your S3 Mini into CWM recovery mode (Press and hold Volume Up + Home + Back keys simultaneously)
5. Create an Android backup in case you want to restore it later
6. Perform wipe data/factory reset
7. Perform wipe cache partition
8. Perform wipe Dalvik cache under Advanced
9. Go to main menu, select “install zip from SD card” and choose “choose zip from SD card”. Find and select the CM10.2 ROM you copied earlier.
10. After the installation was completed, repeat previous step. But this time choose the Google Apps package instead.
11. Select “reboot system now” when the installation was completed
If your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini takes a longer time to reboot, don’t panic. This is totally normal when you boot the phone for the first time after a custom ROM installation. So now you will have Android 4.3 Jelly Bean running on your Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini.